Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

VS.net Grid-layout mode

Is anyone actually *using* the "grid layout mode"?

As a new employee I have to accept that my colleges are using this mode and it creates messy code!

Being a former ASP and PHP coder I dislike the VS.net very much because it opens up web programming for people who are unfamiliar with HTML! Is'nt that aself-contradiction ?

Asbjorn Moen
Thursday, May 26, 2005

I know EXACTLY what you mean. Being a former mainframe programmer myself, I dislike these newfangled "assembly language" mnemonic instructions very much since it opens up application development for people who are unfamiliar with keypunches, octal and microcode optimisation! A blatant self-contradiction if ever there was one.

They'll all be sorry when their bloated code exhausts the 2 kilobytes of main core, the last 1kb upgrade cost nearly a million dollars!

;-)

Mattster
Thursday, May 26, 2005

Design view is strictly prohibited here. We use the html view of aspx pages, and think a little bit more about how we layout our pages. It's not that hard, and IMO it's easier than the grid mode if you have any sort of clue as to what you are doing. YMMV.

tim
Thursday, May 26, 2005

We've used grid layout mode and sold several copies of the application for five figures each. The customers aren't PHP programmers.

Mike Gunderloy
Thursday, May 26, 2005

Grid-layout is there for one-off in-house reporting scripts that aren't fully integrated into your pie-in-the-sky infrastructure. They have an https URL and a simple ACL attached. It's necessary because you'll have to prototype, you'll have to do emergency reports on a ridiculously short cycle. It happens. If it was your pie-in-the-sky web framework and it's meant to be reusable by your clients (via plug-ins or source-access) then some thought put into reusablility would prevent you from having much luck with grid-layout mode.

Li-fan
Thursday, May 26, 2005

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home