Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Book Recommendations for .Net

Hi guys,

I have been doing Classic ASP with JScript for quite a long time (~3 years) but have just got free from college work and I want to get into .Net.

I did JScript from JScript, the definitive guide - David Flannagan and that is pretty much the best book i would recommend and would like recommendations of similar books which explain the concepts, fundas et al.

I'm thinking of getting 3-5 books

What would you all recommend me? And any suggestions as to how to get into it?

Greg Cooper
Sunday, May 22, 2005

I really liked Charles Petzold "Programming Microsoft Windows with C#"

Also "Microsoft ADO.NET" by David Sceppa is good too.

Finally, "Design Patterns in C#" by Steven Metsker does a good job of introducing design patterns and in the mean time showing how they apply in the .NET world.

Charles Reich
Sunday, May 22, 2005

Great. thanks :)

Any tips as to how to get going in .Net?

Greg Cooper
Monday, May 23, 2005

Only 3 .NET-specific books have managed to stay in my collection:

Richter
Applied Microsoft .NET Framework Programming

Rammer
Advanced .NET Remoting

Hasan
Expert Service-Oriented Architecture in C#

Download the latest beta of VS 2005 - no sense in starting with 2003 at this point.

Write an RSS client - it can be web or windows (which ever you want to learn). This seems to be the latest fad - but there's enough there to teach you all kinds of stuff. I think VS 2005 or one of the Express editions has a sample RSS client. Don't peak until you're done with yours! :)

Jeff Mastry
Monday, May 23, 2005

My favorite day-to-day ASP.NET book is Dino Esposito's Programming Microsoft ASP.NET (Microsoft press). 

Hardin
Thursday, May 26, 2005

Thanks guys,
sorry for the late reply. had gone on a vacation

Quite frankly, I'm a little confused now. Because there are multiple books which you all have recommended and im unsure where to begin with.

Regards,

Greg Cooper
Monday, June 13, 2005

Hi,

Try this book "Database Programming using vb.net and SQL server 2000"

(Secrets of developing an accounting package revealed)

Regards
Bhar

bhar
Friday, June 17, 2005

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home