Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

UML class diagrams

Is there a cheap (or free) tool that can take c# code (or an  assembly)  and generate class diagrams.

I don't need Rational Rose or anything - just a simple way to make class diagrams.     

Corporate Dork
Friday, May 20, 2005

Visual Studio 2005 (Standard and above) have a built-in class diagrammer that's supposedly quite nice. Not exactly UML standard, though. You can get a free beta if you're an MSDN subscriber.

Or you could get Enterprise Architect Professional from http://www.sparxsystems.com.au/ . That's fairly cheap for UML software (US$189) and can reverse-engineer C# (and other languages) into standard UML diagrams. Terrible interface but that's apparently standard for UML software...

Chris Nahr
Saturday, May 21, 2005

Doesn't Visio support some UML stuff? I haven't used it but I thought that the developer edition had some support for UML.

matt
Monday, May 23, 2005

Oops... should have read the original post a little better. Visio probably won't take existing C# code and turn it into UML diagrams. Sorry.

matt
Monday, May 23, 2005

Actually, there's a special edition of Visio that can reverse-engineer code... but it only comes bundled with Visual Studio Enterprise Edition. No idea why MS never released this feature separately.

Chris Nahr
Tuesday, May 24, 2005

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home