Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

CRUD and many to many table relations

Hi! I'm trying to do a CRUD (Create Report Update Delete) form as a template to develop a lot of cruds. Up until now I've been able to do almos everything with databinding and datasets and relations between datatables.
BUT, I have yet to discover how to handle a situation where I have a relation table between other two (many to many or cross reference relation).
Does anyone know a good way of doing this? possibly involving databinding? Of course I can make a form that handles the situation, but I want to find the best way possible whithout doing a lot of things that make the source code ugly....

Andrés Villanueva
Friday, May 20, 2005

Hi Andrés,

I have no particular solution to your problem, but just to be persnickety, I think the R in CRUD is for 'retrieve'. But people keep arguing about this. Some think it's the r of Create, so that it covers only the three write operations.

Sorry if this is of no help, which it obviously isn't  :)

Phil
Friday, May 20, 2005

I thought the R was for "read."

Kyralessa
Friday, May 20, 2005

Yeah, that's the funny thing---the R means something different for everyone.  :)

Phil
Saturday, May 21, 2005

I'm from the R = Retrieve school. But we use ISUD internally. INSERT SELECT UPDATE DELETE -- maps directly to the SQL we write. Less confusing overall.

Sgt.Sausage
Saturday, May 21, 2005

LOL! I always remember it via the acronym "ARSE" - Add, Remove, Search, Edit.  I just wish I hadn't quoted it in my final year dissertation...

Mattster
Tuesday, May 24, 2005

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home