Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

My Files aren't Caching :(

This is not strictly a .Net issue, although I'm running IIS / 2002 / .Net 2.0 Beta 2.

Anyway, looking through my log files, a lot (though not all) of users are not caching the .js and .css files. I've tried different combinations of the Expires header and the max-age, but to no avail. If it were one or two I'd think they'd just disabled caching, but it's more like 60 - 70%.

I'd really appreciate some feedback if anyone's got a moment. The site's www.partyark.co.uk.

BTW, wen't live on Beta 2 yesterday, really happy with performance. It was about an hour's work to make some changes on top of the Feb CTP (which was a real pain to use). Very happy with performance.

AJP

Alistair
Wednesday, April 20, 2005

I am afraid that i have nothing to say about caching problems beyond the observation that when editing css files on my own sites the caching of old versions appears to happen fairly haphazardly!

What I DO know is that my next birthday is going to be jolly pirate themed! http://www.partyark.co.uk/Party-Themes/Jolly-Pirates

I am going to be 13!

oh wait no 31 :(

Aidan

Yeah, great site Alistair.

Joel Spolsky

Wow! Thanks for the compliment - this is a one-man-band business at the moment, so I have to do everything from coding the site to running the warehouse to answering the phone. So words of encouragement make a real difference.

Should have said that the server is masquerading as Apache in case anyone got suspicious about why I've asked this q on a .Net forum. (why? because I'm a bit geeky and figured writing a C++ Isapi might be fun... it wasn't :)

A

Alistair

The site is great and I've bookmarked it for my daughter's next birthday. Just missed her 1st birthday, which was last month ;-(

Is it possible to have a Winnie the Pooh theme too, as we did he whole nursery with that.

Now I think I have strayed so far from .NET questions that this'll be deleted, but hopefully you'll see it before it goes ;-)

Joel Spolsky
Thursday, April 21, 2005

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home