Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Beta 2

Beta 2 appeared on MSDN subscriber downloads about 2 hours ago. It seems like it may still be propagating as it appears/disappears from the file list, presumably depending upon the NLB server you hit.

Cheers!

Dennis Forbes
Saturday, April 16, 2005

But no professional version yet? I am assuming that they will release one soon. There is really no need for me to download any of the other versions.

matt
Sunday, April 17, 2005

Professional should be on MSDN, yes.

Brad Wilson (www.dotnetdevs.com)
Sunday, April 17, 2005

I just checked again and it's still not out there. I'm not familiar with the new Team System versions so maybe I'm missing something.

Here is what they have available:

Standard, Team Edition Test Load Agent, Team Foundation Server, Team Suite.

I am tempted to download Team Suite but don't want to do it unless I know for sure that it contains at least the Professional version of VS.NET. Anyone know what that is? Are they going to release the equivalent of the professional edition soon?

matt
Sunday, April 17, 2005

Unless I'm missing something, Team Suite should be the absolutely top end version (that is, it contains all the functions of VS Team for Testers, VS Team for Developers and VS Team for Architects). It's definitely a superset of the Professional functionality.

Generally speaking, the 2005 hierarchy is: Team Suite > Team individual versions > Professional > Standard > Express. There's also a version in there that's specifically designed for people who are developing for Office; I'm not sure where that fits in.

I'm surprised that Professional isn't on MSDN yet. However, the official announcement hasn't been made (ericgu's blog notwithstanding), so give it a little time.

Brad Wilson (www.dotnetdevs.com)
Monday, April 18, 2005

Given that the team suite is "everything that's in pro, plus the team things", I think the VSTS is intended to be your download -- just don't use the team features. It's just a beta right now and you don't have to pay for the extra features, so it saved them a build.

Just found some info to confirm that.

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/get/default.aspx#pro

"Latest: Beta 2 (included with VSTS)

Stable: Beta 2 (included with VSTS)"

Dennis Forbes
Monday, April 18, 2005

It's not a problem to install the team suite and miss out the team features, I did it with the December CTP.

Although it would be nicer to have the Professional given it would be a smaller download. MSDN downloads are a pig with the FTM.

el
Tuesday, April 19, 2005

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home