Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

VS 2005 TableLayoutPanel

Is it just me or is this thing severely broken? I have been hoping for a long time to get a table layout control in .NET but this thing is virtually unusable. The only way to set cell alignment appears to be by way of the docking or anchor properties of the control that gets placed into the cell. Also, the thing has locked up on me several times and has ghost divider lines if you set the margin and padding values to be greater than about 8 pixels each. I would have expected them to make it much closer to html tables in terms of properties and behavior.

Also, the masked text box control seems a little flaky. I'm especially concerned with the cursor being positioned in front of separator characters. It doesn't seem to operate like many of the other masked text boxes that I have seen in practice. I think the user will be confused by this behavior. Once the user presses the next character it skips over the separator and inserts the character into the correct position but when you are looking at it it looks like you would actually replace the separator (based on cursor position). Is this the way the old VB masked edit box worked? I've been trying to find another example from Word and such to see if they captured the same behavior in the .NET control.

matt
Friday, April 01, 2005

And this is judged by what?  The barely stable Beta 1, or the damn near unusable CTP builds?

oMan
Friday, April 01, 2005

I don't know...  ;)  Some of these things are marked as both CTP and Beta X. The version I am using is the February CTP that is supposed to be the latest thing (I think).

Anyway, it's not just that it seems unstable but that I don't think it is flexible enough to really use. For example, it doesn't seem to have the ability to span columns and rows. I was expecting something that comes close to mimicking an HTML table but for Windows Forms. If all it can do is a standard grid, then it doesn't do much for me.

Maybe I'm missing something but it doesn't look like this control is really made for input control layout. It seems to have been made for aranging icon-like controls in a standard rectangular pattern. That's just my two cents.

I probably need to spend a little more time reading up on it. Anyone else have any experience with this control?

matt
Friday, April 01, 2005

As a side note, the FlowLayoutPanel seems fairly useful.

matt
Friday, April 01, 2005

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home