Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

VS.NET .suo and .user files

Is there a way to tell VS.NET to place these files in somewhere other than the solution (or project) directory?  There does not seem to be an obvious way, but is there perhaps a registry or hidden config setting that would allow this?

What I would like to do is have the solution (including the .sln, and all contained .csproj files) on a shared network drive but have the .suo and .user files on the developer's local machine.

Is this possible?

AMS
Wednesday, March 23, 2005

You're solving the wrong problem.

Get a source control system.

Brad Wilson (www.dotnetdevs.com)

You're assuming something that is not true.

AMS

>Get a source control system.

The problem, if I am not mistaken, is that checking these files, particularily the suo, into source control is a waste, as the only thing they really seem to track is which windows were open when the solution was closed. There is no need to continually have that file come up as "modified" and think that it needs to be checked in repeatedly.

Matt B
Monday, April 04, 2005

It seems to me that some source code control programs offer the option to flag a file so that its history isn't tracked (I'm thinking about Subversion with TortoiseSVN), but I could be wrong.

AccountingNerd
Monday, April 11, 2005

Yeah, I use Subversion with TortoiseSVN and "Add to Ignore List" so that those files don't get checked in.

Mike Pond
Friday, April 15, 2005

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home