Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Complete Newbie - ASP.NET, Parser Error

I am new to this asp.net world and I created a web application, but I keep getting a parser error.  I havent even touched the code.

Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'WebApplication1.WebForm1'.

I am just guessing that it is file permissions issue,  because the 'bin' directory is empty.  So I am assuming that VS 2003 is trying to write and cant.

I created with the url on a remote machine.

http://remote-url/mapping/NewDev/newmap/ ..PROJ_IS_HERE

(oh, laugh it up, I am a java guy).

Berlin Brown
Monday, March 07, 2005

Sounds like the web application hasn't been compiled. You should have a DLL that has the same name as your web app in the /bin directory. Otherwise, you are going to get that error message because the .NET Runtime is unable to create the necessary objects to execute the page.

Mark Hoffman
Monday, March 07, 2005

Maybe I should get a book first.  That was it, hmm, I thought it would compile it automatically, ASP style.  Thanks.

Berlin Brown
Monday, March 07, 2005

I've encountered this problem sometimes; in one instance it was due to capitilazation issues. The value of the inherits statement in my aspx page did not match the case of the project name, thus throwing the error. Synchronizing the case solved the problem.

example:
Project Name MyProject
ClassName = Class1

Inherits="Namespace.myProject.class1"
changed to
Inherits="Namespace.MyProject.Class1"

Hash550
Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Berlin - It JIT's and caches the assembly on the first load, but yes, you need to compile the binary initially to get it all happening

Dan G
Monday, March 14, 2005

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home