Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Image in crystal report

Hello all,
I'm using C# in VS .NET 2003. I want to show some picture in Crystal Report that comes with VS.NET 2003. These pictures locations comes from database. But how I can show images in Crystal Report.

Is there any easy way that I can easily show images in crystal report.net without messing up with various stream readers??

Thanks...

Jamil Salah Uddin
Saturday, March 05, 2005

The easiest way would be to put the images in the database not just their locations. Then you can just put the field on the report and it would work correctly.

Not being able to refer to locations to load images was a major problem in crystal and was just fixed with Crystal 11, but I haven't seen it.

davidragnar
Friday, March 11, 2005

I was doing your way but didnt work , I stored a Picture in SQL Server 2000 as an image data type by conveting the picture to binary and i retrieved it correctly into a form, and displayed it in a picture box, but in a report I failed can you explain more about this subject

thanx in advanced

Ammar Gaffar
Wednesday, April 06, 2005

I had a project in VB6 with that requirement, i don't remember the details but i do remember it was a pain.  I was using CR8.5.  I'll dig up the details and post em.

Daniel Westlake
Saturday, April 09, 2005

ok, i found it.  Sorry, it's in VB6.  Enjoy!
Couple of Notes:

In VB6 you will need to add a reference to cpeaut32.dll, as well as ActiveX Data Objects library.

The SetLogOnInfo method just overrides the report and all sub-reports' database connections to match the database and authentication that the application is already using.

The LoadEntity method will search the report header for a sub-report object named "entity".  Once found it creates an ADODB.Recordset with the two fields and pumps it to the sub-report.

The image file must be a bitmap.  The "entity" sub-report will need to use pdsmon.dll (ADO, RDO, DAO).  Server type is Active Data (Field Definitions Only).  I can't seem to find the ttx definition file, but it would look something like this:
EntityLogo    BLOB        
EntityName    String    50    Your Company Name

If you want a copy of the "entity" sub-report i can send it, just email me.  If you want a working example, i'm open to being convinced :)

You can use these like so:

Public Function OpenReport(ByVal sReportPath As String, ByVal sLogoPath As String, ByVal sEntityName As String, ByRef oSessionMgr As clsSessionMgr) As CRPEAuto.Report
    Dim oCrApp As New CRPEAuto.Application
    Dim oCrRpt As CRPEAuto.Report

Set oCrRpt = oCrApp.OpenReport(sReportPath)
    SetLogOnInfo oCrRpt, oSessionMgr
    LoadEntity oCrRpt, sLogoPath, sEntityName

Set OpenReport = oCrRpt
End Function

Private Sub SetLogOnInfo(ByRef oCrRpt As CRPEAuto.Report, ByRef oSessionMgr As clsSessionMgr)
    Dim X As Integer
    Dim Y As Integer

oCrRpt.Database.Tables(1).SetLogOnInfo oSessionMgr.Server, oSessionMgr.Database, oSessionMgr.UserName, oSessionMgr.Password

For X = 1 To oCrRpt.Sections.Count
        For Y = 1 To oCrRpt.Sections.Item(X).ReportObjects.Count
            If TypeOf oCrRpt.Sections.Item(X).ReportObjects.Item(Y) Is CRPEAuto.SubreportObject Then
                SetLogOnInfo oCrRpt.OpenSubreport(oCrRpt.Sections.Item(X).ReportObjects.Item(Y).Name), oSessionMgr
            End If
        Next Y
    Next X
End Sub

Private Sub LoadEntity(ByRef oCrRpt As CRPEAuto.Report, ByVal sLogoPath As String, ByVal sEntityName As String)
    Dim rs As ADODB.Recordset
    Dim oCrSubRpt As CRPEAuto.Report
    Dim o As Object

For Each o In oCrRpt.Sections("RH").ReportObjects
        If o.Kind = crSubreportObject Then
            If LCase(o.Name) = "entity" Then
                Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset
                rs.Fields.Append "EntityLogo", adLongVarBinary, 2147483647
                rs.Fields.Append "EntityName", adVarChar, 50
                rs.Open
                rs.AddNew

rs("EntityLogo").AppendChunk GetPicBytes(sLogoPath)
                rs("EntityName").Value = sEntityName

Set oCrSubRpt = oCrRpt.OpenSubreport(o.Name)
                oCrSubRpt.Database.Tables.Item(1).SetPrivateData 3, rs

Exit For
            End If
        End If
    Next
End Sub

Private Function GetPicBytes(ByVal sLogoPath As String) As Byte()
    Dim r() As Byte
    Dim s As String

ReDim r(0) As Byte
    s = " "

Open sLogoPath For Binary Access Read As #1
    Do While Not EOF(1)
        Get #1, UBound(r) + 1, s
        r(UBound(r)) = CByte(Asc(s))
        ReDim Preserve r(UBound(r) + 1)
    Loop
    Close #1

GetPicBytes = r