Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

ASP.NET Web Project Frustration!

Ok, i'm new to the Visual Studio and IIS and all this.  I've done some small .NET projects in textpad, etc. but I've inherited a LARGE project with 7 different web projects all in Visual Studio. 

If someone could please explain how I'm supposd to configure everything or point to a good tutorial, i'd be quite greatful.

I have all the files in a seperate directory for each web application and the .SLN file, but apparently I need to  create a virtual directory (for my dev env. at least) for each web application?  Then I specify the directory that conatins all the files, etc. 

Is this the proper way of setting up an dev enviorment for this type of project?  This seems incredibly cumbersome, as I'd like to be able to simply check out all the files onto another workstation with VS.net and build immediatly without having to spend an hour configuring IIS. 

Thanks for anyones help, its much appreciated.

Vince
Thursday, March 03, 2005

Your frustration is understandable - the integration of web apps in solutions, and the deployment of the same from Sourcesafe, is terribly hackish.

This is of little help, but somewhere on Microsoft's site they have a document titled something like "Visual Studio Team Development Guidelines", detailing best practices for setting up projects, integrating in Sourcesafe, and so on. Anyway hopefully that helps in the search.

Dennis Forbes
Thursday, March 03, 2005

Hoepfully someone will come up with a good link for you to get started.  Once you get past that, you should try to use ASP.net without web projects, it is the only way I can keep my sanity while doing ASP.net.  Good information here: http://pluralsight.com/wiki/default.aspx/Fritz.AspNetWithoutWebProjects
and more by googling for "ASP.net without web projects".

Good luck.

Todd Schneider
Thursday, March 03, 2005

What is so hard about web projects?

Exactly what are you doing that is so hard ?

Steve
Sunday, March 06, 2005

"I also dislike the way it places .sln and .csproj | .vbproj files in a separate location from the actual source files (I understand that this is necessary to allow application creation directly on a server, but I never deploy that way)"

umm, why would you deploy your solution and project files?

Steve
Sunday, March 06, 2005

What do you mean 'what is so hard'?  I just explained it.  Did you read my post?

Apparently, from my understanding, you need a virtual directory on IIS for each Web project your building.  This means when setting up a new development enviorment, I have to do this for each specific 'web application' that i'm checking out?  That doesn't seem very efficient to me.

Vince
Monday, March 07, 2005

Yeah, I read your incoherent and poorly described problem.

Yes, you need a virtual directory, but studio will create one when you make a new project.

'checking out'.  Like VVS checking out?  what is 'checking out'

And yes, a web app is in a virtual directory in IIS and if you took the time to review IIS you'd see that the directories created are applications.

So yes, multiple web projects will create multiple virtual directories in IIS.

There are some other possibilities, but in simplest terms, ifyou create the new web project in the tool, it will create the virtual directory.  It's quite easy and efficient.

What is so inefficient about creating a virtual directory?

Do you have hundreds of web apps or something on one web server?

Steve
Monday, March 07, 2005

OP, in addition to Fritz Onion's suggestions, you might want to read this blog entry about the problems with ASP.NET web projects and a possible solution.
http://tinyurl.com/3kouu

Mark Pearce
Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Thanks Mark.

I discount some of his comments, such as 'source control can be problematic'.

Perhaps users can be problematic - I've been in a dev team of 8 programmers, 10+ web apps and the source control is never the issue, it's typically the dev's who are the issue  :)

I just find that comment to be so abstract with no proof behind it, that it sounds less 'scientific' and more opiniated.

IIS is a good setup to run .NET as well, and I have seen little to no issues with IIS.

I don't put much on Cassino - certainly I await Whidbey and the ability to use the file system, but I must say again, in my development in asp.net over the last 6 years, the least of my worries has been IIS or VVS.  Perhaps I was taught well how to use the products.

I really question the 'frustration' part - I would term this rather "I am frustrated because I lack the knowledge of building web projects"  - note the 'I lack' not the product - it's easy for a newbie to point the finger at the tool and not at his lack of knowledge.

And goodness, if you think asp.net is difficult maybe it's time to go back to asp or php.

Steve
Thursday, March 10, 2005

If all the projects are part of the same solution and hence located in the same virtual directory within different sub directories, you need to make sure the build properties of each project point to the parent bin directory of the main virtual directory.  This way all the dlls go into the same directory.

davidragnar
Friday, March 11, 2005

Please try this link
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnbda/html/Tdlg_rm.asp?frame=true

Gopal
Thursday, March 31, 2005

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home