Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Embed ASP.Net in Winforms

I have a Winforms application that includes documentation in html format.  I'm planning on adding a faceted search capability using ASP.NET - users will be able to specify what they want in a number of categories, and as they do so their options will narrow in remaining categories.  Reloading all the new options will be slow over dial-up.

So - is there a way to include ASP.Net on the client, together (I guess) with a super-lightweight webserver?         

ASP.Net Noob
Sunday, February 27, 2005

No, ASP .NET only can be distributed with Personal Web Server ou Internet Information Server. But you are implement search in HTMl pages, like read files using recurses of Windows Programming

Leonardo Nunes
Sunday, February 27, 2005

Previous poster is smoking dope.

The ASP.NET runtime ships with every install of the .NET framework. You can look at Cassini at http://www.asp.net as an example of a lightweight ASP.NET server. You could also host the ASP.NET runtime within your process the same way Cassini does it.

Look though the MSDN Magazine archives; there have been several articles discussing this.

CHris Tavares
Monday, February 28, 2005

Thanks Chris - I found this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/03/01/cuttingedge

ASP.Net Noob

I think what Leonardo may have been hinting at is that you may not want to actually do it that way. If your help files are static html, why do you need to install a web server on an end user's machine?

Give them a winforms based search facility that reads through the html files using standard file access techniques and let them "select" the page they want to view by clicking on it in a results list. Then show the selected page inside of a windows form using the Internet Explorer ActiveX control (or just popup an instance of their favorite browser outside of your program).

I'm not sure what having ASP.NET on the end user's machine is actually going to do for you unless you are planning on creating dynamic help content from a database or something.

matt

The pages are put together from a small local database, the search is more of a faceted Yahoo style than Google style, so text search isn't enough. 

I realize a weberserver on the client is a bit Rube Goldberg, but I need to make it available on our intranet as well.     

Corporate Dork

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home