Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Copying files from a network resource

I'm writing a C# .NET application that will be copying files from a remote network directory to the local disk.
The problem is that the network resource requires authentication.

How can I accomplish this? Currently, my colleague has done this by creating a mapped drive by using System.Threading.Process to run "net use <path> <password> /USER: <username" and then copy the files over, before deleting the mapped drive.
But this method has the overhead of a heavyweight process creation, and I'm trying to eliminate that.

Thanks
- Tharsan

Tharsan
Thursday, February 17, 2005

I have a similar problem, in that I am writing an ASP.NET webapp that uses the VFP OleDb driver to access tables located on a network resource. Drive mapped or not, the bottom line is that either the "MACHINE/aspnet" user context needs network read rights granted on the network share, or the web app needs to be told to impersonate a user context that has appropriate rights.

I believe the recommended approach is to do the data access (or file access in your case - actually its file access for me too really) with a new thread which runs under the appropriate user context. That way you keep both user identities doing what they do best.

Unfortunately, I have not yet determined how to do this in ASP.NET but maybe it will give you a few ideas...

Colin Nicholls
Friday, February 18, 2005

If the user doesn't normally have access to the share you are creating a security risk by even temporarily giving the user access via net use or some other method.  Not sure how critical keeping the user out of the share is.

A more secure way to do it would be for the user process to copy to an intermediate location and then have a service or batch process running on an authenticated machine periodically move from that intermediate location to the secure location.  Of course that is more processes to support (job security :-)  ).

I'm not clear if what Colin suggested (user impersonation in a separate thread) can be accomplished on the users machine securely but if it can that sounds like a good avenue also.

bw

on rereading i see that you want to go from the network resource to the client, not to.  i assume you want the client to have access to some of the content of the share but not all (otherwise you would just grant the client access) & the app is controlling access.
i think the same security concerns apply - you're going to need some kind of broker that resides on an authenticated machine and services app requests for files.

bw

thanks for the helpful comments.

the application is actually a process that runs periodically on a server to copy the images from this network drive over to its local disks.

the application is never actually run on a user's machine.

Tharsan
Monday, February 21, 2005

Tharsan, what you want to do is called "impersonation" - read Keith Brown at:

http://pluralsight.com/wiki/default.aspx/Keith.GuideBook/HomePage.html

I think specifically the LogonUser stuff is what you want to get familiar with:
http://pluralsight.com/wiki/default.aspx/Keith.GuideBook/HowToGetATokenForAUser.html

Or, of course, buy his excellent book "The .NET Developer's Guide to Windows Security."

Duncan Smart
Monday, February 21, 2005

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home