Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

VS.NET and VS6...

Would it be kosher to post a question about running VS6 and VS.NET on the same machine here?  I'm not having any luck on the MS newsgroups, but I hate to post a question here if it's below the standard of intended questions.  Thanks.

Andrew Burton
Tuesday, October 15, 2002

From the rules: "No question is too trivial or too "newbie"."

Joel Spolsky

Yay!  Thank you.  I'm going to just copy-and-paste what I wrote in my Livejournal since it's about as best as I can describe the setup.  One addition I'd like to add is that the .NET Framework comes from the Comonents Disk along with the SQL Server Desktop, but that's about the only thing I forgot to mention before.  Any and all help is appreciated.

[livejournal]

Here's what was installed: The computer they were running on was a P2-400 with 320mb of RAM. It was running Windows 2000 Professional with the Win32 file system and the 3rd Service Pack for Win2k. VS.NET was the Academic Version with all the extras (SQL Server Desktop is the main program that comes to mind) installed and the two beta-J# packages. VS6 was the Professional version with nothing special except the Install Shield in place. the VS6 MSDN package was loaded as well. I'd installed VS.NET one day, VS6 another, and then called to register VS.NET this weekend (if that has any bearing). I also have Office 2000, Frontpage 2002, Web Matrix, C++Builder 5 Standard, Delphi 3 Professional, Delphi, and some version of Interbase (came with D3) installed if any of those matter -- overlapping DLL's being a possible cause.

This is what worked: VS6 ran fine as far as I could tell. The VC++ and Visual Basic IDE's worked grand and Visual Basic compiled programs alright. VS.NET ran mostly alright. I could get C#, J#, and VC++.NET (is that the name of it?) IDE's to run, and I could get basic windows (the blank forms you start off with) to start.

Here's what didn't work: VS.NET stalled everytime I tried to create a VB.NET windows application -- the first one in the VB.NET list when you choose "new solution" from the File menu. It would start out all right, but then VS.NET would grind to a halt. I'm not sure I want to say it was "locked up" because the task manager never said didn't respond.

Here's what I noticed: When installing, repairing and uninstalling VS.NET components and software this last week, I noticed my computer would just sit idle for a while -- minutes on end. If I waited it would keep installing and eventully finish. I first thought maybe it was doing this when I started a VB.NET solution, but I'm skeptical since C# and others setup withing thirty seconds.

[/livejournal]

Andrew Burton

Which did you install first: VC 6 or VS.NET?

I've got a box at home that had VC 6 running already; I installed VS.NET beside it and they both run just fine.

I'd strongly recommend installing VC 6 BEFORE VS.NET.

Chris Tavares

From the rules: "No question is too trivial or too "newbie"."

Joel,

people do not read the rules:-)

Prakash S

I actually installed VS.NET first, because the last time I installed VS.NET -- this is all due to my having to re-install the computer -- it over-wrote VS6.  I was hoping to slip VS6 in after it all, but I'll try VS6 first.  Thanks.

Andrew Burton

I second what Chris said, I have both running fine. I installed vs6 years ago, and then a complete vs.net install about 6 months ago, I have no problems with either.

Alberto
Wednesday, October 16, 2002

I guess then I must have done something horrible during the first installation then.  I tried installing VS6 then VS.NET again last night, but the VB in VS.NET still locks up -- I did forget to clean my registry out, though.  I guess a re-installation won't hurt too much.  Thanks, everyone, for the help!  I appreciate it all. :)

Andrew Burton

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsintro7/html/vxoriVisualStudioNETSystemRequirements.asp

"recommended, p3-600".

and your harddrive is probably the older 5400rpm model i would bet. it would take a long long time to load up vs.net

you could do it, but be prepared to wait.

Wm

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home