Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

.NET versus J2EE / help me remove the evangelism

Hi All,

Whenever I try to get some good traction (for which read common sense) on this subject, I always come up dissatisfied. My experience of J2EE is "light", and with .NET it's paper only.

Viewed from a pure market forces perspective, I find it hard to believe that there would be very much to separate these 2 technologies (so I'm thinking c#.net, not other stuff.net), and that most concrete distinguishing factors would be more to do with one's insourcing/outsourcing strategy.

Which led me to .... (and I'd be interested to hear views) ... assuming that skills are predominantly outsourced, and that interoperability is pretty much all http/xml/soap/wdsl driven nowadays (at a server/middleware level) ... why would an organisation stamp down hard on being "single flavoured" ... what do you really lose from allowing both technologies to find a place in your organisation?

Most Java programmer (that I know ... :-) ), seem to pretty happy doubling up on .Net, so the skills base argument doesn't fly.

I think about:
- porting/moving functionality from one app to another (which doesn't happen much in my experience)
- having to have operational people who can manage a .Net app server ... big deal ... is that really a big cost consideration

and I think about the opposite ... declaring a "single flavour" organisation ... and ... well ... I just feel really un-committed to that point of view.

Danny Mollan
Tuesday, February 01, 2005

To me it's about the platform or the architecture, not the language.

What platform are you working on, what is the context of your app?

I started with C++, learned C# - then I did some Java.

Personally - I find .NET  for web apps to be quite RAD, mostly because of the nice databinding features.  My Java experience was for business logic type programming in an integration software - worked out really well.

I do like the use of delegates in C#.

Then there is the IDE, the documentation, etc... I do like what MSDN offers with documentation, and I find Visual Studio to be a good environment to develop in. 

Again though, I'd look more at the platform you are developing then decide a language, not really the other way around. 

Just my opinion

Steve
Wednesday, February 02, 2005

The languages are similar.

The frameworks (libraries or APIs) are not identical, so it isn't easy to move code from one environment to the other.

Anything written in .NET won't necessarily run on non-Windows platform.

Christopher Wells
Wednesday, February 02, 2005

guys ... I know all this ... which makes it my fault for not being clear about what I was trying to ask!

So ... in a BIG environment, that is already pretty heterogeneous, what are the true, concrete, downsides, to allowing BOTH technologies to find a home/place etc.

I can see lots of advantages (some of the more social than technical) and I struggle to establish high levels of belief in the downsides.

Danny Mollan
Thursday, February 03, 2005

Code that is written to use the .NET framework API isn't easily portable to use the Java framework APIs, and won't necessarily run on non-Windows platforms.

Christopher Wells
Friday, February 04, 2005

http://www.manageability.org/blog/archive/20030108%23101_reasons_why_java_is/view

dan
Friday, February 04, 2005

"http://www.manageability.org/blog/archive/(...)"

Oh brother! What a waste of time and blogging space.

matt
Monday, February 28, 2005

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home