Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

How to send data to remote web server?

Hi,

I need to transfer table information under program control to a remote web server.

e.g. client program transferring data to an SQL database on the web server.

I have the following options:

1) FTP.
2) Replication.
3) Calling remote stored procedures with table data.

What is the best way to do this?

I would really like to use FTP as a last resort as I do not want an importer service running at the other end. I would like to do this by pushing.

Mike
Tuesday, February 01, 2005

How about a Web Service or XML over HTTP

Mike McGrath
Tuesday, February 01, 2005

That is a good idea, but would it be fast?

I have looked at the possibility of using Advantage Internet Server which only requires an I.P. address and a port which handles data compression too.

I think I will have to test with both.

Thanks for you information.

Mike
Wednesday, February 02, 2005

WS or HTTP, as Mike says,  is the simplest way to go, certainly a push model.  I've done something similar recently, dropping the data into a MSMQ, which is then read by a service. Serialization to/from objects is easy in MSMQ/.NET.

If you want to get more sophisticated, and have access to MSMQ 3 on Win2003, you can also also send MSMQ Messages using SOAP and HTTP.

el
Thursday, February 03, 2005

I forgot to add in the second paragraph, because object serialization to/from MSMQ is easy, effectively you can send objects using HTTP.

el

Thanks el,

I will think about this all some more.

Mike

Since you're talking about sending data from one Windows box to another, you could certainly use .NET Remoting - it's faster than web services and probably a little easier to program. In addition, you could transfer over TCPIP instead of HTTP which could possibly add a little more security - just another thought.

Mark

Thanks Mark.

Advantage Database Server has an internet server which allows you to connect using the I.P. address and a port, but I am having trouble setting this up with our network host.

This would be the easiest option and is not too bad speedwise.

I will take a look at .NET remoting however.

Mike
Monday, February 07, 2005

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home