Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Getting started with VB .Net

Do you think it is a good idea for someone getting started with .Net to buy the standard version (VB .Net Standard -2003 Version).  I've developed in VB6 for many years, but want to get exposed to the .Net world.  The professional version is too $$$ for me.  I know Standard is scaled down version but what other choices do I have ?

Troy McClure
Monday, January 31, 2005

Download the SDK for free.  I believe you might also be able to code in VB.NET with SharpDevelop (an open source IDE) if you don't like working with Notepad and the command line.  VS.NET ain't the only game in town :-)

smallbiz
Monday, January 31, 2005

Enroll in a course or two at your local community college, and then you can buy the Academic edition, which is practically identical to the Professional edition.  All you need is a student ID.

Kyralessa
Monday, January 31, 2005

"I believe you might also be able to code in VB.NET with SharpDevelop..."

You absolutely can, and #Develop is at least as good as half the IDE's out there. I would venture to say it's at least 80% as good as VS, for 0% of the price.

NetFreak
Monday, January 31, 2005

could you try the Beta versions?

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/

I think these are open, you just need a passport (hotmail webby) but it is possible they are free to me as I sit on a Uni network...

Aidan
Tuesday, February 01, 2005

"Enroll in a course or two at your local community college"

I agree.  I took a 3 month summer class at the local college.  The class was super cheap, and it allowed me to buy the academic version of VS Enterprise for around 100 bucks.

and there are some significant differences between VB6 and VB.NET that the class can help with.

Rich
Wednesday, February 02, 2005

I agree with the, "enroll in a college course" idea. I'm doing this now, and in fact, I found out last night at my vb class that I can get VS.NET for 14.99 and WinXP for 8.99 - you can't beat that!

Mark
Thursday, February 03, 2005

By what means?  Those numbers sound suspiciously low.  When I was a student, I found the academic versions of XP Pro and VS .NET to be just under $100 each.

Kyralessa

Depending on where you go to school, MS products can cost anything from "bring a cd-rw to the puter lab" to "bring us $5 to cover the cost of the cd" to "spend $100 but get a manual w/ it." Some schools have deals w/ ms to get all software for free on campus and for students, other just the academic discount. YMMV.

tim

Actually, considering I'm using a copy of VS .NET Enterprise Architect at work which set the budget back all of $139, I shouldn't be surprised by that.  But I haven't observed many schools that include their students in such agreements.  Good to know there are some.

Kyralessa

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home