Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Web Services

I am curious about the adoption of .NET Web Services:

1.  Are you guys using this technology?
2.  If so, what about the Latency?
3.  Do you think there was a little too much hype?

Interested

Mike McGrath
Wednesday, January 26, 2005

a) Not for anything that anyone ever actually uses.
b) Thats one reason why it will never really work but the real reason is you will never get agreement (about how things will be named, etc.) across different organizations to the extent necessary. Hell, as you can see from this forum, developers will debate stupid bullshit like indenting preferences for hours - just try to get them to agree on something that actually matters.
c) Just a little.

NetFreak
Wednesday, January 26, 2005

1.  I've played around with it; consuming, not producing.
2.  I haven't played with it enough to notice.
3.  Yes, but then I thought the same about .NET.  Well, actually, though .NET is a good thing, there was still too much hype about it.

For .NET it took separating the wheat from the marketing chaff, to see what it could really be used for.  I think the same will be true of web services; it'll take a few years to find real everyday uses.

I think the biggest problem with web services is:

1.  Implement web services.
2.  ???
3.  Profit!

It's far from clear to me how companies will increase profits, even indirectly, through providing web services.  No matter how cool it may be to be able to get weather or stock quotes or whatever through web services, I just don't see why companies would go for it if there's no revenue involved.

Kyralessa
Thursday, January 27, 2005

1. Yes, both consuming and producing for in-house and external clients.
2. The latency is nasty, but not bad when the web service and the web application have a decent connection. And frankly, I'd rather the information get to us slowly than the information not get to us at all.
3. Yes, the hype is overrated. But then again, all hype is overrated.

And to answer Kyralessa...we have a web service that clients can use to order a product from us. It's another avenue for us to sell stuff, which increases our profit.

moron

I've seen it on a couple apps here, but i agree...way overhyped.

grover

Usage: So far, only mostly as an exercise in technical masturbation. I built a neat little chart generator service to be used by multiple different ASP.NET apps. For the most part, the service is just a nice simple facade to a free chart generating class I downloaded.

Latency: How fast is your network? Does it matter for your application? Can you use async methods for your purposes?

In my chart generator, the latency is almost NIL, since, for the moment, the thing is running on the same server that the one application that consumes it runs on. Besides which, all it's doing is dumping an image file to a directory, and returning the URL of that image to the caller, which is an ASP.NET control.

Hype: Of course there's too much hype. So? Without marketing and money, how would programmers make any money??

Dave Mays
Saturday, January 29, 2005

1. Only when forced to by some techno-dweeb architect who thinks it would "be cool".

2. Latency is our middle name when it comes to in-house development. If the client whines we modify the code.

3. If the hype involves free T-shirts, beer, backpacks or other tangible objects that you can keep or consume, then no there is not too much hype; else if the hype is just blah blah "it's new therefore it's great!" then there is too much hype.

Mike Drips
Friday, February 04, 2005

What I have noticed in last two years of my working with Webservices-EAI platform is that no client looked for any published web services but first they tried to get their house in order with the SOA. I expect that once they have that going they will look around for web services

I guess that like any hype it can become a reality with some smart design and architecture work. Unless there are some really smart designers who can show the CTOs as to how to and what to use out of the available web services this will be a hype.

Mukesh Desai
Saturday, March 26, 2005

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home