Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Smart Clients

I'd like to hear your experiences.  When to use them, when not.  I want a richer user interface than the web, but want to avoid the headaches of deployment in a strict environment (DoD).

Thanks

Steve
Wednesday, January 26, 2005

I'd love to use them, but all mine are idiots.

I think about this problem a lot... we chose the 'good UI but deployment nightmare' path and despite the fact we have probably 10 people (10% of staff) over & above what a browser client would require, I am afraid we had no choice to produce a competitive UI. But the deployment hassles in a multi-customer, multi-thousand trans-continential user environment are not for the faint of heart.

IMO this is one of the great problems of contemporary commercial programming and nothing in .NET helps much. Applets never took off. Avalon is a faint hope. I suspect I will retire still fighting this problem.

NetFreak

I've posted this a few times before on JOS, but just in case you missed it, here's a page with a working example in .NET 1.1: http://www.agilekiwi.com/rich_clients.htm

I'd love to make more use of this technique (especially once ClickOnce is out in VS 2005) but unfortunately most customers in my area are still insisting on browser-based clients.

John Rusk
Monday, January 31, 2005

Thanks John, the only aspect of all this that makes it difficult is the requirement for the client to have the .net framework installed.

Steve
Thursday, March 10, 2005

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home