Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Please help! URGENT!

Until a moment ago, everything was ok and then I got this:

Visual Basic .NET compiler is unable to recover from the following error: System Error &Hc0000005& (Visual Basic internal compiler error)

Save your work and restart Visual Studio .NET.

I need to make an urgent delivery. Please help.

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Saturday, January 08, 2005

If that happens here then we do what it says, that is we save as many files as possible, exit Visual Studio and then restart. The problem rarely reappears after restarting so I assume that it is caused by a particular sequence of events rather than some intrinsic corruption within the Visual Studio application files.

Mike Green

Thanks, Mike. I did restart the IDE and it never went away. I searched the Net and it was a fairly documented problem and there was some reference on the Net that said it occurs if you've used DirectCast in place of CType. But I hadn't used DirectCast, so I posted this question. When I got back from the posting, and I restarted my IDE, it went off on its own.

Sathyaish Chakravarthy

Sathyaish, I'm glad you were able to overcome the problem. These types of problems are a little annoying when you can't determine the true cause. Fortunately for us, we only see this type of Visual Studio failure once every six months or so. We usually say to ourselves "funny stuff software" and then merrily carry on.

Mike Green
Sunday, January 09, 2005

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home