Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

VB.Net and HTTP Post without Web.Client

Is there a simple way to get data and post data to a web server without the project using ~30mb of RAM using .net?

The current prototype is using the web.client to do the communication since I couldn't get request.post to post data back to the server even though it would download data no problem.  The problem with web.client is that it is horribly slow and uses huge amounts or RAM.  There is a 15 second delay before I can download the first bit of data, all traffic after that is fast, but uses lots of RAM.

Greg Breland
Friday, October 11, 2002

something else is going on.  you should install a sniffer and look at the HTTP traffic going from the client to the server.  netmon.exe from Microsoft is good.  I think that it is on a Windows 2000 server CD, so if you have MSDN subscription you should be able to find it.  Too bad you cannot just download netmon.exe and install it...

Tim
Saturday, October 12, 2002

you may also be able to use xmlhttp from msxml. i have no idea why you're having problems with your current solution.

if you don't have netmon, netcap comes with winxp. dig around and there is a program which can read capture files, even though it's not as good as netmon.

late at night
Sunday, October 13, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home