Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Does Visual Studio support ODBC / MySQL?

I'm getting errors trying to use Visual Studio's wizards to add an ODBC Data Source.  I get the same errors for both MySQL ODBC and SQLite ODBC.  Both ODBC's work fine when accessed by other clients.

One or more errors occurred while processing the following database object(s):
<test..testtable>
Could not find table 'test..testtable'.

I get these errors even though the ODBC works fine and even shows the tables in the Wizard!!!

Franklin
Wednesday, January 05, 2005

There is a native ADO.NET provider for MySQL that you might want to try.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysqlnet/

As for ODBC. If ODBC through .NET gives different results than with other clients, maybe the ODBC trace logs can give you a hint.

Geert-Jan Thomas
Thursday, January 06, 2005

Yes, I looked at the native provied.  Unfortunately, Visual Studio's wizards, designers, etc. only support ODBC , not MySQL native (what do you expect from MSFT?).

The ODBC errors were coming for another provider as well.  I think that maybe the drivers don't support identifying database..table, but rather require use database; syntax, and VS is insisting on database..table syntax.  But I'm not sure, and, more importantly, wouldn't know how to fix it even if I'm correct.

Franklin
Thursday, January 06, 2005

You better get over "the wizard doesn't do this", or you're going to hate your job (and your coworkers are going to hate you).

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Friday, January 07, 2005

Thanks for the self help, Brad, but I'm looking for answers to my question

Franklin
Monday, January 10, 2005

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home