Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

choose which '.net' tool, how??

to create a new, smallish database app, how would one who is fairly familiar with access (which is likely the most suitable tool) decide whether to use vb.net or asp.net or wait and migrate the access app to one of the new forthcoming 'visual studio express' tools??? (i was not sure if this is an inappropriate post.)
thank you,
:) tom

tom lyczko
Monday, January 03, 2005

If you have to churn the app out fast, do it in what you're familiar with.

If you've been developing in Access, you have the potential for at least three new things here:  new development language (VB .NET), new environment (web, if you were to do ASP.NET), and perhaps new database (SQL Server or MSDE instead of Access).  I wouldn't recommend switching more than one area at once.  So do a desktop app in VB .NET with Access as your back end, and if things go well, then consider doing your next one in ASP.NET _or_ switching to a different database.  I think you'll have better success making a gradual switch this way.

Kyralessa
Monday, January 03, 2005

If you're already familiar with Access and think it's the most appropriate tool for the app, why migrate at all? Likely any improvements you need can be made faster in Access than in any of the .NET choices.

Mike Gunderloy
Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Mike, I agree with you, and that's the path I'm taking for now, I am just for now exploring the subject.

I will more likely try an MSDE or SQL Server Personal backend, so I can eventually set up the app better for multi-user access (mainly reads, but about two-three people with edit rights).

Thank you,
Tom

Tom Lyczko
Tuesday, January 04, 2005

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home