Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Interop with Office, compatibility?

I want to do some Office automation (unicode search/replace in Word, Excel and PowerPoint). I still don't know whether that'd be a winform or asp.net app, but in both case the following items are important to me.. Could you please confirm/correct/comment:

1) There's no way to manipulate Office documents in the way I've mentionned above without having Office installed huh?

2) Which version of Office will work fine with the Offie PIA's? Down to 2003? Earlier?

3) Is there a way to be assured of compatibility down to, say, the 1997 version?

Now, when I'll know which Office version is the best to reference in my project, how is it labbeled in the "Add reference" list box?

Any comment on the unicode stuff welcome too..
Please, don't mention VBA/Macros :)

Thanx a lot!

ZET
Thursday, December 30, 2004

The point being, of course, that I don't know which Office version will the user be running (if winform), and that I don't know yet which server I'll be using (if asp.net).

[Actually, if someone can point me to a free ASP.net hosting with an Office version supporting the PIA's + allowing me to restrict access to my app, that'd help a lot also :) ..]

ZET

This article should answer most of your questions:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q311452

Mike Green

I looked into this. Eventually I took the Word 97 com object and got .NET to put a COM wrapper round it for me. Now I can work with 97+ (as long as I'm happy with 97 facilities)

gwyn
Saturday, January 15, 2005

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home