Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Good book on Windows Forms with .Net

Has anybody got a recommendation on a Wiindows Forms book, I was planning to buy the Chris Sells one but thought I'd ask for opinions first.

Tony Edgecombe
Tuesday, December 21, 2004

That book is good. I also like "Windows Forms: Programming with C#" by Erik Brown.

Brian

I loved Charles Petzold's books. They go into fascinating (or excruciating depending on your perspective) detail about the topics they DO cover, which are heavy on things like text manipulation, bitmaps, coordinate systems, etc. IIRC he bypasses some major important topics such as the Grid control, though. You may feel his is a little introductory but I have been doing this forever and I loved it. He is a terrifice author.

NetFreak

Charles Petzold, "Programming Windows with C#", is indeed a good book.

Also read Chris Sells, "Windows Forms Programming in C#".

Petzold was published fairly early in the .NET era so there's much introductory stuff about .NET and C# that Sells doesn't mention. But you should read Jeff Richter's "Applied MS .NET Framework Programming" anyway, as a foundation.

Chris Nahr

Thanks for the advice, I went for the Chris Sells book in the end.

Tony Edgecombe

I have all three books mentioned... but... did you ever notice there aren't many Windows Forms books?  Well, at least compared to ASP.NET books.  :(

Which is a shame... :(

GuyIncognito
Saturday, December 25, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home