Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Localization...

OK...I have gone through the ASP.NET primer on localization and have a question: I've built a CMS system with SQL Server as the backend and haven't done anything with localization yet, but would like to support multiple languages.  After reading the quickstarts, I gather I just have to:

1) Change all my varchar() fields in the database to nvarchar() to support unicode characters.
2) Put all static strings (window titles, label captions) in a localized satellite assembly for each language I want to support.
3) Format dynamic text (like current datetime) with culture information.

Is that it?  I've never had to build anything localized before so I'd like to get a list of things I need to do to start transforming my product into having multilingual capabilities.

Also, users will be able to edit web content directly in the browser (as with most CMS's) - do I have to do anything specific to the text they enter or can I just fetch it and store it in the database as I'm doing now?

Thanks in advance for any help.

smallbiz
Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Read this:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Unicode.html

You'll need to input/output from the browser in UTF-8 for your app to work with all different languages.

Michael H. Pryor
Wednesday, December 08, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home