Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Testing a ".NET" application... need to know?

With respect to all the developer's on this forum....  what topics should a QA resource understand about .NET to be an effective tester for a .NET application?   

To narrow my question's scope... answer from a "functionality test" premise... or a "system test" premise.

Pardon my clumsy question, I am a .NET newbie.... your help will be appreciated! 

bruce
Friday, December 03, 2004

Nothing at all.

Seriously, why would you care about the implementation details when testing a system ?

Would you worry if it was written in C# or VB.NET or some mixture ?

Testing should be concerned with whether the system is "fit for purpose", and generally that is orthogonal to the implementation details.

[There are probably some contrived exceptions to my assertion above, but in general it will hold and your post gave no indication that the exceptions would apply.]

Nemesis [µISV]

Nemesis...I would agree from a "functional" premise.... the .NET should be invisible to the functional tester.   

Let's see who else may agree with us!

From a "system test" premise,  what  may .NET require  from the tester?

bruce

I would agree with Nemisis.  On my applications that I had tested, the only thing that they had to make sure was that .NET was installed.  But the installer of the app took care of that.  After than the testers did not care about if I had use .NET, MFC, WTL, or Mono for that matter.

Of course this leads to other test cases, like if the wrong version of .NET is installed, or no version is installed, etc. that would be the only reason that I would think of for the testers to know that .NET was used.  And other things like if version 2.0 is used you cannot use Win98.  But from a functionality standpoint, its just not that important.

Steve

i disagree to a certain extent. If you are an "overall" quality person, then you realize the quality of the code could effect performance, functionality, etc. down the road.

Have the developers use FXCop. Anything with a 99% or 100% needs fixed.

Patrick

I agree with Patrick - the answer to this question depends on if you're an "end unit tester" or a QA manager. If you're purely concerned with the end product, then you don't really care if, for example, the AddToBasket method of the Shopper class is broken.

A QA manager, OTOH, should care, because it ultimately affects quality.

Also recommend FXCop. You may want to check out NUnit.  http://www.nunit.org/

me
Saturday, December 04, 2004

one thing to test is dependencies. this is sort of installer testing, but the error message an end user gets is meaningless.

?
Saturday, December 04, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home