Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Control Suite

I'm trying to decide which contol suite to purchase for WinForms.  I'd like to create an application with the MS Office 2003 look and feel.  Has anyone had any experience with the control suites from Infragisitics, DevExpress or Syncfusion?  Any recommendations?

Ewan's Dad
Thursday, December 02, 2004

I use the Infragistics suite.  I've licensed it for 2 years...
You can do a fair amount with the components, and they provide a lot for the money.

On the other hand, the documentation is not the best.  You have to get in and try to solve some things yourself.  Also, they certainly do not have best of breed solutions.  For example, they offer a charting component, but if you really care about charting, you'll but the Dundas component, or something else.  Similarly, their grid is good, but I know others who are better.

For me, it's a love/hate thing.  The worst part is that we just shipped an app built using Infragistics, so it will likely be around for awhile.

Chris Williams

I'd second everything Chris Williams said.  We've got an Infragistics subscription I'm about to renew.  Actually this time around I'm going to upgrade it to get the source code.  I've been using only the WinForms controls, and they pretty much work as advertised.  But the documentation is horrible, and their sample applications are next to useless.

Another vendor you might want to check out is Janus.  I prefer their GridEX control to Infragistics' grid.  It has an Outlook 2003 look for grouping headers, something I don't think (not sure) the Infragistics grid can do.

Joe Paradise

Component One .net studio is pretty good too.

Mike
Wednesday, December 15, 2004

and have a lot of things that others don't such as a report writer, excel and flash modules not to mention a pretty good data layer that takes all the hard work out of ADO.NET

Mike
Wednesday, December 15, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home