Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Transitioning my brain to .NET

Hello All,
I have been writing software for donkeys years now, basically in order Basic, DBase, Clipper, Mapper, C, Gupta, VB. and a few more that I've forgotten. I have been developing in VB for about 5 years, and even if I say so myself, I've got rather good at it. So I'm facing a bit of internal resistance to jumping aboard the .NET wagon and leaving my trusty sharpened tools of trade behind me. But alas, the only thing that is constant is change and I guess its about that time. Would somebody care to name a book that will guide me like a baby through the architecture of .NET but treat me like a guru in terms of putting labels on forms etc?

Alberto
Wednesday, October 09, 2002

Perhaps Cornell & Morrison, PROGRAMING VB.NET: A GUIDE FOR EXPERIENCED PROGRAMMERS (Apress) or Troelsen, VISUAL BASIC .NET AND THE .NET PLATFORM: AN ADVANCED GUIDE (Apress), if you want to stick with VB. Or Liberty, PROGRAMMING C# (O'Reilly) if you want to switch gears.

Mike Gunderloy

Thanks Mike, I bought Troelsen and the Microsoft Core Reference (Balena) Programming Visual Basic.NET.

Looks like I'll be busy for a few days....

Alberto

anything from troelson, is very, very good.
i have  his atl book, and his (early .net beta 2) book.

a very good author. highly recommened.

Wm
Thursday, October 10, 2002

My recommendation would be "Microsoft .NET for Programmers" by Fergal Grimes.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1930110197/joelonsoftware/ref=nosim

Guy Incognito

Wm,

I bought Troelsen's C# (.net beta 2) book recently, and on the cover it said that updates for the final release would be available online.  Checking online, I found no updates.

Is there anything in the book that you found inaccurate in the final release of .net?

Nick Hebb

I've got the VB.NET version of Troelsen's book (which is supposed to be current with the final 1.0 Framework). Amazon says the 2nd edition of the C# version is supposed to be out in Feb -- http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1590590554 .

Dave Rothgery
Friday, October 11, 2002

I should probably add that I've also got Appleman's "Moving to VB.NET" and Harris & Macdonald's "Moving to ASP.NET". IMO, both books treat you as a mid-level VB6 (or ASP/VBScript, respectively) developer, not an API-hacking guru or a programming newbie. As such, they're much easier to read than Troelsen's book, but somewhat less in-depth.

Dave Rothgery
Friday, October 11, 2002

If you're looking for something akin to a walkthrough of VB.NET, Appleman's book isn't where to start.  IMO he assumes you have more than cursory exposure to VB.NET, which I don't. 

I'm going through the Cornell & Morrison (read and recommend it) and Balena (next on list) books first.  Then the Appleman book.

BTW can anybody recommend books for control creation in VB.NET?

Joe Paradise
Friday, October 11, 2002

I'm currently reading Balena - which I bought day before yesterday, so far so good, explains the architecture well, gives code examples (not my style of code mind you) and generally reads well. I'm feeling comfortable with .NET already although I've still got a way to go.

Alberto
Friday, October 11, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home