Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

ASP.NET

Anyone using a product called ironspeed ?
If yes, what do you think of the product ?

As IT budgets  get tighter and tighter I think we need more code generation software products.

What are your thoughts on code generation software ?

http://www.ironspeed.com/

Thanks

Tyler Maudlin
Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Not more spam. How stupid do you think people are?

Nemesis [µISV]
Thursday, November 18, 2004

It got you to notice and respond.

oh my

I think code generation tools are great.

I think Ironspeed sucks.

And the code generation tool that does not suck is ????

Tyler Maudlin

I don't own stock in ironspeed or work for them or promote it. I am just trying to find out if people use code generation tools and what might be good or bad based on experience. I just  stumbled across ironspeed by internet searching.

Thanks

Tyler Maudlin

Generally for any largish type project I've seen teams roll their own code generator.  It's not that difficult once you get some base templates down and your database schema is in place.  I think I've got about three or four different code generators from different projects I've been on laying around somewhere.

One other comment: most of the commercial ones will sell you on the fact that the classes they create are complete and you'll never touch them: this is bunk.  If you're going to buy, find one that won't blow away any changes you've made to a class when you regen the file.  More than once I've seen someone regen a class and blow away a bunch of custom code that someone wrote.

smallbiz

CodeSmith

http://www.ericjsmith.net/codesmith/

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Friday, November 19, 2004

+1 for CodeSmith - I rarely take the time to manually code a custom Collection, List, etc. anymore.

Better yet, it's free.

Greg Hurlman
Tuesday, November 23, 2004

The project I'm currently working on was originally started using Ironspeed (before I came on-board.. it never would've passed evaluation from me). I would strongly recommend that you stay far, far away from it. Notice, I said the app was 'started' using Ironspeed. Eventually, it started to choke and caused no end of problems and died a very horrible, and unrecoverable, death to our application.

I had to completely rebuild the application using a simple DAL generator and basically lost several months of development.

Zknet
Thursday, December 16, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home