Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

memory

How much memory we need for installing .net framework alone (server version)? similarly if I want to install only VB.net in my desktop, how much memory I need?

how much memory needed for each package separately like asp.net,vb.net and .net run time libraries?

thanks in advance

John
Tuesday, October 08, 2002

If you mean the .NET runtime (what you would install on the computers of the users who run your software), then check out this link: 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetdep/html/dotnetfxref.asp

Page down to the tables at the end of the document that provide the minimum and recommended hardware requirements.

On the other hand, if you mean the actual software development kit, (including the compilers, libraries and documentation), I have no idea other than that it is around a 130 MB download. 

Also I was not aware that you could choose which compilers were installed with the .NET SDK? 

Guy Incognito

Depends on what you're doing with the server (serving Windows apps? Serving Web apps? Running a single service written in .NET) and with the desktop (writing small utilities? Writing huge solutions?), of course.

More is always better. Personally, I wouldn't put less than 512MB RAM in either a server or a desktop development box these days.

Mike Gunderloy

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home