Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Derive from TreeNode class and serialization

Wonder if anyone knows the solution:
I'm building a treeview with MyTreeNode objects that inherit from TreeNode class.
Serialization with ordinary TreeNode objects works fine, but when I use MyTreeNode it fails!
MSDN tells me that TreeNode implements ISerializable, but it doesn't(!?) At least not in a way MyTreeNode can override the ISerializable::GetObjectData method... .

Does anyone have an idea, assuming I did try to use ISerializable, made sure that the constructor of MyTreeNode calls base() and taking for granted I'm a little bit stupid?

Jurgen
Monday, November 08, 2004

Check the exception that you get when trying to serialize, and drill down into the InternalException, that should give you more details.

GD (http://forums.delphiforums.com/infinite_loops/)
Monday, November 08, 2004

Thank you, but that is what I did actually.
It just seems that since TreeNode does not implement ISerializable it just won't work.... ??

Jurgen
Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Why not implement it yourself then ?

As with all these cases, if the framework doesn't do what you want, extend it, or re-write it, so that it does.

Obviously, I mean just extend/re-write the bit you need to be different ;-)

Nemesis [µISV]

You mean, implement ISerializable so, that the base() TreeNode get's serialized correctly?
No, thank you, since TreeNode IS serializable as is, if not used as a base class....
Or, am I missing something?

Btw. I did find that putting some custom class-object in the Tag property of a TreeNode, in order to control the TreeNode, does the trick... but that solution makes the nodes a little less flexible for future changes... 

Jurgen

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home