Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Disconneted dataset example

I have a web application (Asp.net) and now I need to make a dotnet win client so people can view/modify and add new records to the application on local not conneted computer. Later when conneted they can hit some button to add all their changes back to the database and also to get newer version of the data in the database.

I have heard that you can use datasets and develope what is called disconnected dataset and write everything to a xml file on local computer.

I need some tips what is the best way to develop this application and I really would like to see some small application that use disconnected dataset. Isn't there any Microsoft (or not microsoft) demos where the disconneted dataset is used?

all help appreciated.

John

John
Saturday, November 06, 2004

I would start by reading/learing ADO.NET.  For a little insite I will explain that all datasets are disconnected, it's how they work.  All data management in ADO.NET is disconnected. 

I hate to say it but you have a long way to go, hang in there!

What's.NET?
Thursday, November 18, 2004

I hate to say it but you need to learn to read.
You have misunderstood my post.

I was talking about some demo software for offline / online work.

Everybody else understood my post so you are in trouble.

John

John
Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Don't know if you will ever see this answer but one way you could do it is use the DataSet WriteXML, WriteXMLSchema methods which basically writesout the entire Dataset (data and schema) to some XML files. 

You could then read them back into a dataset with ReadXML, ReadXMLSchema.

Maybe what you are shooting for is more complicated then that but hopefully this will help.

Mark Flory
Friday, December 03, 2004

One problem the XML files, I would think, is that you have to manually determine the state.  Thus you would have to go record by record and see which ones need to be updated to the database (inserts/deletes?) or brute force each one.

I would also hazard to guess that optomistic concurrency would not work in this solution either.

Mark Flory
Friday, December 03, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home