Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

activex and .net

Needed to send outlook tasks from an asp.net / vb.net application.

Decided to write an activex control in vb6 and throw that on the asp.net page.  Works great....

Except, end user gets the Internet Explorer security warning before the activex initiates.  Basically this message just asks the user if they are sure they want to run this activex control.

The activex control was written in Visual Basic 6.  The application is a asp.net / vb.net application.  I dont want users to get this warning, since this is an internal development project and all it does is create tasks.

So how do I sign this active x control ?  Or do I need to ?
I dont want to go around to each pc and looking at internet explorer options.  Is it possible to sign this active x so that it is "safe"

Jon
Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Even if it is signed as safe, it will probably generate the security page.  Just imagine the trouble people could make if it was possible to bypass that just by signing it.

Aaron F Stanton

Hmm...

That's odd...whats the purpose of signing it then ?

I think there is a way to avoid that message...and I thought signing the activex would help....

Anyone else can verify this ?

Jon

The purpose of signing is so that when it says "this content was authored by TrueBlue Software", you know that it really was TrueBlue and not Al-Qaeda Software. You have to judge for yourself if TrueBlue Software is going to wreck your computer or not. All of this is why everyone bitches about ActiveX security, and why we all hope CAS security in .NET lives up to its hype.

NetFreak

adding onto that description...

the IT department in some big company can pre-install the cert for all the copies of IE in their company.  Now all the apps that are signed with "Big Companies " cert will run due to the security settings.

Doesn't help "Joe's Bait Shop" much.

I wonder how many folks click the "Always authorize applications from Microsoft" checkbox?

Daniel Klaussen

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home