Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Anyone used Portable.net or Mono?

I've been educating myself on .net (as you can read from my recent posts :-)

Goal is to allow you to run .net apps (C#) on Linux, Unix, etc.

The mon and Portable.net projects sound pretty slick.

OF course, the Lindows buzz made it sound pretty good IN THEORY.

Is anyone actually using either of these?

Mr.Analogy (Shrinkwrap ISV company owner)
Sunday, October 17, 2004

If you are looking to have a conversation about Mono or Portable.net you should try the relevent channels on irc.freenode.net (#C#, #dotgnu) and irc.gnome.net (#mono). They are excellent channels and may have some answers for you.

Li-fan Chen
Monday, October 18, 2004

I'm using mono w/ wx.NET and having great results - it has all the advantages of wxWidgets as far as being able have one program run on all (relevent) platforms, combined with all the benefits of .NET (besides multiple languages, until they add some, I hear jscript is coming soon) as far as RAD.

Who wants to use any .NET language besides C# anyway? :P

Only drawback is the state of the wx.NET port, it's missing several key classes. However, adding a class you need from wxWidgets into wx.NET is easy (says I who is recompiling wxWidgets for the umpteenth-gazillion-time...) and you get to help move the project along further! Or you could do it the lazy way and use the Windows.System.Forms counterpart and have the feature be windows-only and you build/test processes more complex...

If all goes well I'm going to have the system tray and sound classes added to wx.NET pretty soon and of course contribute my work on those back to the project.

Pete
Friday, October 22, 2004

I have bought, but haven't had time to read yet, two recent books that may be of interest:

Mono: A Developer's Notebook
Edd Dumbill, Niel M. Bornstein
O'Rielly, July 2004 0-596-00792-2 $24.95

Open Source .NET Development: Programming with NAnt, NUnit, NDoc, and More
Brian Nantz
Addison-Wesley, 0-321-22810-3 $39.99
Covers using using Open Source tools, working in MS .NET and other .NET environments, and incorporating Open Source products into .NET (such as using ADO.NET with PostgressSQL, creating a .NET library for FreeDB).

If anyone has actually read either and tried it out, I would be very interested in a review.

David Lathrop
Saturday, November 20, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home