Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

ASP.NET deployment question

Hi  -  thanks for responses to my earlier question. I'm now trying to understand a Visual Studio deployment/file layout problem.

Assume I have a web site //localhost, with the physical root directory as c:\webroot.
My ASP.Net application needs to be in a virtual directory off that root, e.g, //localhost/myapp, which maps to c:\webroot\myapp.

Question: How do I put html files into my website root, and keep them part of the Visual Studio web project? E.g, my main default.htm file needs to go into c:\webroot in order for it to be the default page for the //localhost site. But I can't find any way of doing this, other than keeping files for the website root somewhere separate and then manually copying them in to the correct place.

Thanks for any help,
David.

David
Friday, October 08, 2004

Ah... I think the solution is to treat the newly created virtual directory as the root.

Then if I create a web setup project I can deploy the project directly to the root of the target webserver, and everything seems to be as I want it.

Just have to remember to use relative URLs for everything :-)

David
Friday, October 08, 2004

ASP.NET web projects are pretty sucky in my opinion.  You can work around the issues very easily.  If you use a regular dll project (which is all a web project really is) you can place it whereever you want on your local disk.

Fritz Onion discusses it further here:
http://pluralsight.com/blogs/fritz/archive/2004/08/16/1888.aspx

Kris
Saturday, October 09, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home