Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Anyone goingo Mono ?

In the company I work for, we decided to migrate our desktop applications to web-applications, and I've been assigned to evaluate the availables development technologies.

I'm really enjoying the productivity I get with .NET. Being a Delphi developer, I feel very confortable with VS.NET, ASP.NET and C#.

But, of course, Marketing has it's demands, and one concearn is to be able to run our application in Linux servers. 

So I've been playing with Mono for a while.  After the painful process to get Linux installed on VMWare, and Mono installed on it, I finally managed to make a little example application run on it.  So, there's light at the end of the tunnel!

Finally, what I want to know is that if there's anybody here developing ASP.NET applications that should also run on Mono, if they're having success, if it's worth the trouble, and any other advice I could get.

Thanks in advance.

Ricardo Antunes da Costa
Thursday, October 07, 2004

No, not yet, but we're considering it for the rare occurance where we need to "get something done" on a Linux platform.

Keep us advised of the "gotchas" you run into.

Sgt. Sausage

I thought I was programming in Mono for a whole year, but it turned out I was just really bored.

Flava Flav!

Flava Flav

Mono will be great in 2010, when it's baked.

Write your application for Windows first. Doing this gives you the benefit of a stable .NET platform, WinForms, and  the best IDE in the world.

I'm not sure about how it performs on Linux, but Mono is pretty broken on platforms that aren't quite mainstream, like Solaris: no pre-built binaries for installation are available, building Mono breaks unless you know yacc, and System.Net.Dns doesn't work.

Even if those specific things aren't broken, there invariably will be some other things that will be. You can spend time trying to work around Mono's limited feature set and bugs, but it'll cost you.

Max Harris
Friday, October 08, 2004

Just curious, how is Mono keeping up with the newer versions of .NET, like 1.1 and 2.0 ?

Nemesis
Friday, October 08, 2004

From the Mono Roadmap ( http://www.mono-project.com/about/mono-roadmap.html ):

Version 1.0 of Mono (already released) implements the .NET 1.1 API, and include binaries for the .NET 1.0 API.

Version 1.2 of Mono (expected for Q4/2004) will implement a subset of the core .NET 2.0 API and ASP.NET 2.0 improvments.

Ricardo Antunes da Costa
Friday, October 08, 2004

"[VS.net,] the best IDE in the world"

puh-leeez... gimmie vim/ctags over VS.NET any day ;)

Saturday, October 09, 2004

*cough* Java *cough*

Lally Singh
Sunday, October 24, 2004

Ricardo,

Mono is in pretty usable shape. The post above stating that it will be usable in 2010 is bunk, especially if you're targeting Linux, Windows or BSD.

Implementation of the ASP .NET 1.0 namespaces is complete and people are having great success with it.

Windows.Forms implementation is for now pretty much non-existant, but GTKSharp / GladeSharp are great cross platform libraries for GUI programming.

Andrew Murray
Monday, October 25, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home