Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

ASP.NET Security

After going out and spending a day with the .NET Evangelists earlier in 2002, I went and plunked down $750 for the .NET Pro upgrade (plus $500 for 13 various .NET books).  My website delivers a lot of content to wireless devices (cell phones, etc.).  It is currently running WIN2K/IIS5 and mostly .ASP pages generating WML wireless content.  I figured that VB.NET with the mobile extenisons would be the cat's meow.

Well, to cut a LONG story short, I have utterly failed to get ASP.NET to work correctly in my development environment (1 box is the web server, 1 box is the DB server, 1 box is the development box, all running on my intranet, DHCP provided by my firewall, a LinkSys DSL Router box) 

This is the bug: I can run with debugging on the development machine, but if I attempt to deploy to the web server computer, I get an error that says I don't have rights to do this.  I follow the (improved) help files to attempt to resolve, but after 6 weeks of attempts (YES, 6 WEEKS!) I have no solution.

I am not really looking for an answer to my problem here.  I've given up.  I've gone back to the 'old' development environment (VB 6, ASP with FrontPage) This is sad, as I've invested so much into a product that is still raw on the inside.  Security configuration and management has become so intermediated from what it used to be, and it is a failure on my systems.  I broke out laughing when I read a Microsoft quote that said that the .NET framework removes barriers and dis-intermediates the programmer from the underlying system. 

For those who may be interested in suggesting a remedy, YES, I HAVE checked, changed my web.config file, and DID follow the MSDN documentation as it existed in June / July when I finally gave up in disgust.

I've been programming in VB since 1993, so I'm REALLY unhappy with this, as I was quite excited about the .NET evolution.  Now, I pine for SP1.

Ron McMahon
Sunday, October 06, 2002

I've found that .Net projects are much easier to deploy and configure. I've done four or five sites for clients in .Net and I haven't had more than the usual tweak-an-ACL-here-and-there problems.

If you post some more detail I'm sure myself or someone else can figure out what your problem was.

Were you getting errors when deploying the app or when running it?

Luke Duff
Monday, October 07, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home