Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

task schedular to access email every x minutes

Hi,

Has anyone built a task schedular to access a email server every x minutes?

if so, any help on creating somethign very stable to do this?

Jacob
Thursday, September 23, 2004

I'm not sure about task scheduler but we've done something similar with a Windows Service.

We developed an SMTP client that periodically connects to a mail server by running as part of a windows service a while ago. This is for outbound e-mail constructed from alert records appearing in a database.

I expect you want a POP3 client to periodically connect to a mail server for inbound e-mail. We are currently developing this type of component and, as with the SMTP client, it will run as a windows service.

I normally write up these types of projects as 'How To Articles' when they are complete as an aid to other developers. They will eventually appear at:

http://www.ferrysoft.com/developmenthowto.htm

I can't give you a timeframe for the availability of the articles yet.

If you are in a hurry then there are already articles/code samples out on the web. Try Googling for 'Windows Services' and 'POP3' and try looking on SourceForge, GotDotNet and MSDN for sample POP3 code (mostly C# with some VB.NET).

Feel free to ask again if there is something specific that I might be able to help you with or if you want more details about my POP3 client component development.

Mike
Thursday, September 23, 2004

You could take a bit of a short cut and simply write an EXE to do what you want and then set it up as a scheuled task in Windows.  Its not as comprehensive as a service but the Windows Scheduler is a quick and easy way to run a process at controlled intervals.

Depends on your time versus flexibilty requirements really.

Neil Dunlop
Wednesday, October 13, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home