Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Internet Explorer Web Controls

I just read about the Internet Explorer Web Controls (MultiPage, TabStrip, Toolbar, Treeview) and tried to follow the link that is supposed to lead to the download http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/samples/internet/asp_dot_net_servercontrols/webcontrols/

However, the url redirects to an "archived content" intro page instead
http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/default.asp?url=/archive/en-us/samples/internet/welcome.asp

My question is, does anyone know if these controls are meant to be used, or were they created sort of experimentally and are now not supported (and therefore probably best to avoid for someone like me who doesn't want any trouble).

N. Browne
Friday, September 17, 2004

Usually it will state what version of the framework is supported for the given control. It was probably a 1.0 or 1.1 framework compatible control, but with the changes for 2.0 it is no longer needed or a similar component is built-in to Visual Studio.

To really be sure, just build a small test app around it, then test it on your targeted platforms.

Roger

They were at best unsupported and at worst experimental.  They might work or not... most likely not.

Greg Hurlman

Thanks. I probably won't use them. I downloaded and compiled them and got a deprecated warning on some of the code in the treeview, so it's not looking good for them being trouble-free.

N. Browne

Anyone have a suggested replacement?

mb

I downloaded them, they worked fine and I integrated them into my experimental web app.  However they don't look so hot in FireFox.  I am now in the process of getting rid of them and replacing them with CSS/javascript.

The whole htc thing seems like it was experimental and is now out of favor.

Andrew
Monday, September 20, 2004

I'm trying to dinamically adding and manipulating webcontrols (checkboxes) in ASP.NET but it's kind of difficult. Do you have any clue ?
I'd like to add checkboxes from a database in certain layout, with some information a given names and later manipulate the checked checkboxes through a routine.
Any idea ?
Thanks.

Francisco Rodriguez
Wednesday, September 29, 2004

True the IE web controls are not officially supported by Microsoft but there is quite a good community around them at www.asp.net.  The source is also available as a Visual Studio project if you feel the need to make your own tweaks.

The controls do have some issues but they are pretty stable and making your own alternatives to some of them (particularly the tree) could take a while!

I'd give them a whirl, they are really not too bad.

Neil Dunlop
Wednesday, October 13, 2004

I know of at least one Microsoft product which uses them; Content Management Server. I find them quite nice, and easy to support.
I tried FlyTreeview, from 9rays.net, as a replacement for the one in IE Web Controls. It's almost source compatible, and has a couple of nice extras. In fact, it installs in a moer sensible location.

Raj Chaudhuri
Monday, October 25, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home