Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Editors

Just out of curiosity... how do we feel about .NET editors... eg. VS ($lots) vs. #Develop ($0) vs. Antechinus ($50) vs. ??

.NET Neophyte
Wednesday, September 15, 2004

I am using the beta versions of vs at the mo. seem ok

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/

Aidan
Thursday, September 16, 2004

I saw that but got spooked by all the MS 'this is just for hobbyists' stuff.

.NET Neophyte
Thursday, September 16, 2004

Well I have never used the full versions, so I don’t know what I am missing. I would not call what I do "enterprise" level so maybe they lack in some things...

They do colour my code, and tell me what my sub is expecting to have passed it. a big step up from webmatrix, which I was using before.

Aidan
Friday, September 17, 2004

Are these Beta/Express versions all one would need to get a reasonably grasp of say C#?  i.e. Let you build, compile and run reasonable programs.

I'm looking at getting into C# and purchasing VS.NET at this point doesn't make sense, as any company I work for will have this for me.  (Though, having a copy at home wouldn't be a bad thing.  However, I would like to wait until I 'need' it before actually purchasing it.)

Thanks

kiwi
Monday, September 27, 2004

For learning C#, the Express version is fine. I don't know if there are any licensing restrictions on it, though (ie, "You can write code in this, but you can't sell it!").

It looks like the C# Express IDE doesn't support ASP.NET, but that doesn't mean you can't use it. You can still write your code in it, you'll just have to write your ASPX files separately and compile your projects by hand.

Josh
Friday, October 22, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home