Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Microsoft, stop screwing with my HTML!

Hey! Stop fucking up my HTML!! I'm so fucking sick and tired of having VS.NET try to "help" me and reorganize my HTML into a complete fucking blob of shit.

I know this is fixed in VS 2005, but it's fucked up now and royally pissing me off.

Argh!
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

VS.NET has never touched my HTML, even though I spend my whole day using it.

The reason is I never use the Design tab and always work in the HTML window. Life is just so much easier that way.

Nemesis
Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Dont use design window, dont use proprties tab, dont drag n' drop, write it all by hand.

best 800 bucks I ever spent!

Sassy
Wednesday, September 01, 2004

What's really annoying is that no one liked it back in the earliest versions of FrontPage and I believe they finally got a clue and stopped in FrontPage. You would think it would have been an early priority for VS.Net.

Matt
Friday, September 03, 2004

Why not try the Tools/Options/HTM/XML and turn off the automatic formatting?

I've never had a problem and I am using both the design view and the texteditor...

Joakim Westin
Tuesday, September 07, 2004

It *is* a problem with VS.NET 2002 & 2003.  You can't just uncheck the box in the preferences to make it stop, either.  There are some things you can do to minimize it, though:

- If at all possible, don't switch between design & code views.
- Use the XML toolbar's "Format Xml" button.  No matter how bad VS mangles your code, you can always re-format it with this button.  Took me 2 years to figure this one out.

It's the single most frustrating bug in VS.NET, that's for sure.

Jeff Perrin

Even better than the "Formal XML" button, the shortcut equivalent:

CTRL-K, CTRL-D

Know it, love it, be it.

Greg Hurlman

FYI, Microsoft's Mikhail Arkhipov once blogged about why the HTML designer behaves the way it does:
http://weblogs.asp.net/mikhailarkhipov/archive/2004/05/16/132886.aspx

Chris Nahr
Wednesday, September 08, 2004

"You would think it would have been an early priority for VS.Net."

Then you wouldn't have a reason to upgrade to vs2005 now would you?  See.  Microsoft thinks of everything.  Their boatload of smart people are hard at work for you.

Mike
Wednesday, September 08, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home