Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

VI Keybindings for Visual Studio .NET

I've been looking for an addon that will let me use VI keybindings in Visual Studio for years now.

Does this exist yet???

Thanks!

Matt

Matt
Monday, September 30, 2002

VS .NET keybindings are completely configurable. There's no vi set built in, but there's no reason you can't do it yourself if you're patient enough.

Mike Gunderloy
Monday, September 30, 2002

I've been looking for the same thing for quite a while.

Unfortunately it's basically impossible to map vi keybindings to another editor because of the modal way in which vi works.

i.e.

Sometimes "j" means move down, and sometimes it simply means "j".

Matt Kennedy
Tuesday, October 01, 2002

Maybe something extremely hackish could be done with macros.  Basically you start the macro with a hotkey sequence to enter "VI Mode", and then all keys are processed by the macro.  Performance would probably suck, but on a 4 ghz machine with 5TB of RAM, who's gonna notice?

Richard Ponton
Tuesday, October 01, 2002

Or you could just learn the keystrokes / combinations for the new IDE?

http://www.sellsbrothers.com/spout/#vs.netfunfacts

Come on... vi?

I've never understood modern geeks fascination with vi.  I would trade a hundred VIs for a single VS.NET IDE.... ;)

Guy Incognito
Wednesday, October 02, 2002

Hmmmm... I consider myself somewhat of a modern geek, but vi is in my blood and has been for so many years - it becomes second nature.  A word of warning however - don't ever use the viper mode in emacs.  Not because it doesn't work, but because now I save my files with esc-:q or ctlr-x ctrl-s depending upon which I think of first.  I can't use vi or vim or elvis anymore - it has to be xemacs with viper.

Dave Warner
Wednesday, October 02, 2002

Have you looked at VIM, www.vim.org. I know that you used to be able to plug it into older versions of Visual Studio, and use it as your editior.

I don't know if it works with VS.Net, I never really tried it with the older version, beyond downloading it, seeing that it works and saying "cool".

Rob Eickmann
Thursday, October 03, 2002

I guess this means you can't hook into the keyboard interrupt handler anymore?

Greg Kellerman
Wednesday, October 09, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home