Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Response.Redirect() Problem

I just launched a new web site and it has a few Response.Redirect() method. on local server works fine (Win 2k Adv. Server, IIS 6.0, VS.Net 2002, .net 1.1), but on the host server none of them working.  When the code gets to the mthod hangs. The result is blank page with the address still pointing to current page instead of the Redirected to page.  The host server (Win 2003, IIS 6.0, .Net 1.1) anybody has any idea, why this is happening.
Please help.

Mabb Shak
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

VS.Net 2002 != .Net framework 1.1

You may be having some versioning issues...

Greg Hurlman
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

On another note, Win 2k Adv. Server only supports IIS 5.0, not IIS 6.0.

Greg Hurlman
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

I installed .Net frame work 1.1 and  all the compilation done in 1.1.
But about IIS you are right it's 5.0. Could it be the cause of the problem or your think it's .net versioning issue??.
Thanks.

Mabb Shak
Wednesday, July 21, 2004

"none of them are working"

but i suppose they are trying to tell you something in the form of an error message.

Tom
Thursday, July 22, 2004

Make sure that on the asp.net error page that the asp.net version listed ont he bottom of the page is what you expect.  I had been banging my head into the wall for a week when an application of mine wasn't working on my webhost - turned out that while asp.net 1.1 was available, all applications defaulted to 1.0 unless you upgraded your app directory.

Also, what error are you getting exactly, are you writing anything to the response buffer before trying to redirect, and what is the exact line of code that your app is crashing on?

Greg Hurlman
Thursday, July 22, 2004

I've seen this problem in some circumstances (https: connection plus parameters on the URL). I didn't investigate deeply, but the fix in that case was to use absolute URLs rather than relative URLs as the target of the Response.Redirect calls.

Mike Gunderloy
Thursday, July 22, 2004

I've actually seen, and fixed this, by disabled smartnavigation...

If you view the source of that "blank" page, I bet you see some stray html, i forget the exact output. Try disabling smartnav ... see if that does the trick.

Colby Scott Makowsky
Thursday, July 22, 2004

Hi all,

Thank you all for responding.
Mike you are right SmartNavigate was the problem I did disable them and worked like a charm thank you so much.

Just to answer Tom. was no Error page displayed not even my custom error page. But when I did my testing before launch .Net 1.1 was showing at the bottom.

again, Thank you Guys. You saved me $$ Now I don't have to buy VS.Net 2003 yet.

Mabb Shak
Friday, July 23, 2004

Opps,
I missed up the order of your comment.
Thank you Colby.
Thank you Craig. I answered your Q

Mabb Shak
Friday, July 23, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home