Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

need a book recommendation

Hi,

Can someone recommend a .Net book that will help me learn and also with the move from procedural/scripting languages up to OOP concepts?  I have the ASP.Net Unleashed book which is great, but I'd like to have a go at the Windows Forms side of things too...

C# preferably, but most of the "beginners" books I've seen seem to lean towards VB.Net

cheers

surreal
Thursday, July 01, 2004

Programming Windows with C# by Charles Petzold is great.  It's a bit thick, but his writing is extremely lucid and helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735613702/qid=1088783694/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-1441550-0955032?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Also,  Design Patterns in C# by Steven Metsker is wonderful at teaching OOP designs.  As the title indicates, all of it's examples are in C#.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0321126971/qid=1088783768/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-1441550-0955032?v=glance&s=books

Charles Reich
Friday, July 02, 2004

I'm gonna piggyback on this topic instead of starting another.
Any good OOP books for VB.NET?

I've been working with VB for a long time, but my chain of learning was Excel 5 Macros --> VBA --> VB 5.0 --> VB 6.0 --> VB.NET (with a lot of crash and burn in that last step)

I'm familiar on the surface with the terminology of object oriented programming, and I have on a couple of occasions made a few of my own objects, but out of habit my code tends to be full of lots of public variables, variable arrays, and loooong loooong sub procedures.

A book that clearly explains not only the WHAT but the WHY, and maybe follows through with an example of a larger, more complex project done "correctly" is probably what I need the most.

It's pretty trivial to follow the logic of having an "employee" object inherit from a "person" object, but to start at square one to figure out what objects we NEED for a project is much more difficult.

Brad Corbin
Friday, July 02, 2004

thanks for those - the Petzold book looks particularly good.  I'd also like to second what Brad said above, the thing I find trickiest with any OOP stuff is the "why?", which bits to put into classes...

dave
Friday, July 02, 2004

That's what Design Patterns is all about.  It's a jump start on how to organize classes for your application.

Martin Fowler's "UML Distilled" also touches on some aspects of object oriented design.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0321193687/qid=1088901159/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-8519551-6310325?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Charles Reich
Saturday, July 03, 2004

Like most newbies, you need to read programming for Dummies. The ones with the yellow covers. Preferable before morons  were handed Harvard libraries. and the media -now *that*design suited the times.

Master of the universe
Friday, August 06, 2004

"... A book that clearly explains not only the WHAT but the WHY'

the why is so you can make the  computer go - you know -do things.

Master of the universe
Friday, August 06, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home