Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

A C# book for a C++ programmer?

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd toss my question out here, since this place seems filled with knowledgeable people :)

I'm a C++ programmer, with a little knowledge of Java on the side. But I have had to write a few apps in C#, and found that the library is so complete it's cut dev time by a whole heap - for one app, probably by an order of magnitude.

Hence I've decided to learn it properly and stop throwing together messy apps that could probably be written a whole heap better.

So - does anyone have any recommendations as to books I should buy? I don't need a book that spends a chapter on what a variable is or what a class is, but it'd be great if it mentioned each key element of the language, at least in a paragraph or so. There might be something like the foreach loop which I'd never learn about though! Good library coverage would be neat too.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas? :)
Cheers,
Christo

Christo Fogelberg
Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Coming from C++ myself, I found "Applied .NET Framework Programming" by Jeffrey Richter to be very good. I recommend skipping chapter 1, which is an introductory chapter that read like an advertisement for the .NET framework.

Semi-Anonymous Coward
Thursday, June 24, 2004

C# is more like Java than C++. The syntax of C# and C++ may be the same, but the whole philosophy is Java.

Calling it a C derivative is just a Microsoft Marketing strategy to avoid getting sued.

PDM
Friday, June 25, 2004

Cool, thanks for your suggestions SAC! :) And as to whether it's a Java derivative or a C derivative or a assembler derivative, I don't really care :P It's fast to code in and has all the good elements of C++ and Java. Except const'ness and templates. Having to cast your way around that can suck at times.

Christo Fogelberg
Sunday, June 27, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home