Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

.NET learner needs help

hi .net gurus
i m a comp.engg. student and very much intersted in .NET technologies. I have worked on c,c++,VB,ASP and I m new for this technology.I want to acquire good command in .NET. Now the main problem.
I am not able to decide from where I should start my learning journey ?,since there are lots of things to learn like .net framework,ASP.NET,C#.NET,VB.NET. I also do not want to waste my time in unneccesary things. After having a overview of .NET technologies I m not able to define the strategy requires to learn this . I also do not have knowledge of the standard books which provides sound knowledge of concepts with code implemention.
I'll be grateful to any suggestion/comments.
Thanks

sandeep tikariha
Thursday, June 10, 2004

Two first steps:

Learn a language (e.g. read the C# reference)
Pick a project (define requirements)

Do the above in either sequence.

Then begin to implement the project's requirements using the language, learning the framework (finding and understanding relevent framework classes) as you go along.

Christopher Wells
Thursday, June 10, 2004

You'll want to have a couple of magazine subscriptions:
MSDN (the magazine) and Visual Studio Magazine.  BTW, never throw them out.  You'll want to keep them for reference.

Thursday, June 10, 2004

Start with http://safari.oreilly.com/0596005059

Just me (Sir to you)
Friday, June 11, 2004

Skip the magazine subscriptions. MSDN very rarely publishes anything of use to those using the current version of the language, and Visual Studio has declined so much in pagecount as to be a poor value.

Mike Gunderloy
Friday, June 11, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home