Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

Question about Avalon development

My company is in the process of developing a strategy for converting our core Delphi desktop DB app to .NET.

Roughly, half of our users say they would be happy with a another desktop (ie. WinForms) app, the other half says they want a browser-based version (ie. WebForms/ASP.NET).

Question: Will Avalon allow us to create one base of source code, and then with the proverbial flick of the switch, allow the app to run as either as a classic desktop app or inside a browser?  I've read various articles on Avalon and was unable to answer this question, so please forgive my ignorance.

NeedATool
Friday, May 28, 2004

Why not offer both ?

With some careful planning and design you can create a WinForms front-end and a WebForms (ASP.NET) front-end, that can both make use of your middle-tier business components and database, etc.

The advantage of this is that you don't have to stop there, you can create a mobile device (e.g. WAP) interface, web-services interface, etc, etc.

All of this is perfectly feasible right now, which I realise doesn't answer your original question, but will hopefully allow you to consider these options without thinking you have to wait for Avalon (which is likely to be 2007++).

Steve Jones (UK)
Friday, May 28, 2004

Why not just build the application to use WinForms and WinForms over the Web?  I understand that VS 2005 will have enhanced support for Winforms over the Web with "One-Click" installation.  I believe the only major downside to WinForms over the Web is that the client PCs need to have the .Net framework

Eric Budd
Friday, May 28, 2004

Geez, people, don't post unless you can answer the original question!

Answer: No, Avalon will not allow a simple "flick a switch" to create both web forms and win forms. However, as the other posters pointed out, with careful planning, it can build components that could run inside either. But that's no different than what you can do today.

Anon Coward
Monday, May 31, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home