Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

"cannot edit this cell" in results pane

In VS I use server explorer, expand Data connections, expand the connection I'm interested in, expand tables, right click on the table and select "retrieve data from table". Edit a cell in the result pane, no problem.

I upgrade to VS 2003, suddenly the above causes "cannot edit this cell" (this happens both in VS 2003 and now also in VS 2002 which is still installed alongside.)

I've googled "cannot edit this cell" and it just talks about data types, etc. , but none of that stuff has changed.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

(note, the data connections are to Oracle databases, but like I said, all this worked before the VS upgrade.)

AEO
Tuesday, May 11, 2004

The exact same database? The exact same table? The grid doesn't allow edits usually because it can't determine what the primary key is for the table, or that there isn't a primary key. What OLEDB provider are you using to connect to Oracle?

Duncan Smart
Thursday, May 13, 2004

Yup. Nothing changed (well, obviously something changed, but nothing explicitly by me.) I'm using Microsoft ODBC for Oracle and was before too (back when I was able to edit cells in the results pane). I'm just in the process of trying an Oracle ODBC driver, we'll see if that makes a difference.

AEO
Thursday, May 13, 2004

I'm experiencing the exact same issue.  There was not a problem prior to VS 2003.  I have searched extensively on multiple KB but to no success.  : <

mike sjodin
Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Well, it's nice to know I'm not the only one experiencing this problem! (Switching to the Oracle ODBC driver didn't make any difference.) I'm completely stumped by this one and haven't had any luck finding a solution. In fact it's the first time I've not been able to find a solution to a problem just by googling it.

It's not a huge deal since I can still edit fields on the fly by making a database project and running SQL statements within VS, but being able to edit right in the results pane was convenient for testing purposes.

AEO
Thursday, May 27, 2004

For those who might dig up this stale thread, here's the answer: while upgrading from VS 2003 I neglected to realize that I was also switching from VS Enterprise Architect to VS Enterprise Developer. Voila. Obvious it seems now....

aeo
Monday, June 21, 2004

Oh, I lied. Apparently it's this (from somewhere on MS site...)

In earlier versions of Oracle, actions such as editing table data, designing table schema, and creating and viewing database diagrams were all supported in Visual Studio .NET. Because of changes in the Oracle data model for versions 8.x and 9.x, Visual Studio .NET no longer supports these functions. These functions have been disabled because the functions can corrupt the data of a user. You can use Server Explorer to browse schema.

Other design and wizard functions (such as the data adapter wizard), are supported for Oracle 8x and 9x.

OracleClient runtime objects, such as OracleDataAdapter, OracleCommand, and OracleConnection are all supported on Oracle 8.x and later.

Note When you try to add or edit triggers or stored procedures, an error may occur. However, these items are still saved, and can be used.

WORKAROUND
To work around this issue, use the Schema Builder that is available from Oracle. The Schema Builder in included with Oracle Forms. You can download this from the following Oracle Web site:
http://otn.oracle.com/software/products/forms/content.html

aeo
Monday, June 21, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home