Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

A new .NET Language

I would like to design and implement a 'language' that will operate in the .NET world.

I noticed a new book by Apress [1] that will be released on May17, but I can't wait.

What are some keywords I can search MSDN and/or microsoft.com with that will point me to articles that talk about building a compilier that targets the CLR.

I don't need the parser/lexer type of information (I have the dragon book), but the stuff specific to the CLR...

Thanks, I have been looking for almost an hour, and it is nearly impossible because CLR / compilier / build etc all point to other more mainstream topics.

What IS the magic word?!

Frustrated,
ee

[1] Build Your Own .NET Language and Compiler , ISBN 1-59059-134-8

eclectic_echidna
Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Check out "codedom"

anon
Thursday, April 22, 2004

According to Amazon, that book was published in February. It looks like it's out of print though, as there's a 4-6 week delay on delivery.

Steve Jones (UK)
Thursday, April 22, 2004

On the amazon.co.uk site, it says Feb.1.  However, on amazon.com and apress.com, it says May 17th.

Hmm. Looks like a bug somewhere.

Not that that happens in software...

--
ee

eclectic_echidna
Thursday, April 22, 2004

For your output, the name you probably need to be looking for is the .NET namespace "System.Reflection.Emit" - if I'm not mistaken, both the MS.NET and Mono C# compilers use this namespace to output their IL. I've used it myself to code what amounts to an IL enhancer project, but it's extremely full-featured and not really that bad to learn. Also, it's most certainly superior to the direct-to-post-parsed style created by the CodeDom, not the least since it gives you access to every feature of the .NET Framework.

Eric Astor
Saturday, May 15, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home